Friday, March 20, 2009

Father of the Man Dr. P. L. Colman Author

With respect to my great uncle Horace E. Colman, I had speculated that he had spent his early childhood with the rest of the Colman clan – the infamous ‘Chase brothers’ in Auburn (old Chester), Rockingham County, and had somehow migrated west to the Brattleborough/Wadsboro area of Windham County, Vermont, sometime in the early nineteen-hundreds. But I couldn’t be certain. I did know with some degree of stubborn certainty that he had lived in the old village of Newfane (in the same county). Some years ago, Dad had taken me and my oldest son, Jonathan, who was then a teenager just back from spending his young life in Africa, to visit the old museum in Newfane. Dad had also given me a photocopy of an old, hand-drawn map of the ‘Stone Markers’ at old ‘Newfane Hill,’ the original settlement, along with a very old conventional county map of Wardsboro. As we discovered during our brief visit, the museum had quite a large collection of Native American artifacts; which had been donated after Horace’s death. The following factual account will also confirm, to my curiosity, that Horace did reside and work in Newfane for a period of time as a blacksmith. There is even reason to believe that he is buried in the same town.




CSN is quality in writing editing transcribing cover design and typsetting . We provide a very unique service. By helping our clients self publish their manuscripts. We will take you step by step from vision to completion.

No comments: